Streamers spend a lot of time in front of a screen which increases eye strain. Blue light blocking glasses are great for preventing that. In this article, we are going to go over some of the best blue light blocking glasses that you can buy.
Due to Covid-19, many people are working from home which means increased screen time, so these kinds of glasses will come in handy even if you are not a streamer or gamer.
If you suffer from constant eye irritation or are interested in getting blue light blocking glasses then we do recommend consulting a doctor.
Why Blue Light Blocking Glasses Are Useful for Streamers
Streamers have a lot of screen time. Not only are they using their phones a lot but they are also in front of a screen for streaming. That can put a lot of strain on a person’s eyes. That can also affect the quality of sleep. These glasses can also prevent eye dryness.
If you are in the market for a pair of blue light blocking glasses then the following are some options that we can recommend:
Top 5 Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses For Streamers
Razer Anzu Smart Glasses
- Blue Light Filtering and Polarized Sunglass Lenses Included: Its blue light filter lessens screen glare to protect your eyes, reducing eyestrain so they feel fresh and focused while enjoying entertainment or working, while the polarized replacement lens shields your eyes from the sun
- Low Latency Audio: Its industry-leading 60ms Bluetooth connection delivers smooth, stutter-free sound that allows you to stay immersed without any disruptions from audio delay or skipping
- Built-in Mic and Speakers: With the Razer Anzu, you can go hands-free when taking calls thanks to a discreet omnidirectional mic built into its frame
- Touch-Enabled and Voice-Assistant Compatible: Change music tracks, play or pause media, manage calls, and activate your smartphone’s voice assistant—all from the glasses’ sleek touch interface
- More than 5 hours of battery life: With this much mileage on a single charge, it’ll never run out during long gaming sessions. When folded up and not in use, it conserves power by shutting off automatically
Razer is known for making some of the best gaming gear that you can buy and the Anzu smart glasses are no exception. The product is aimed at people working from home that might be interested in gaming as well. The glasses come in different sizes and the plastic lenses can be replaced with glass.
The frame is thin as compared to some other products on the market which gives a much better look. There are rubber pieces on the end of the arms that give the glasses some grip. The glasses have speakers and a mic for audio and speech which means that you need to charge them as well.
You do need to charge each of the arms separately like you would need to do with buds but you can do that before bed. The glasses can last around 8 hours on a single charge which is pretty good keeping in mind the audio functionality that it has. The sound is pretty decent as well.
Similar to earbuds, there are quick touch controls that allow you to play, pause, skip track and even use your digital assistant of choice. The glasses might look generic but they are dust and water-resistant which means that you can take them to the gym.
- Built-in speaker and mic
- Dust and water-resistant
- Decent battery life
- Very expensive
- Both arms need to be charged separately
HyperX is well-known in the gaming world for making some great gaming gear. The company makes glasses as well. The gaming glasses block blue light as well as UV light so that you can work or game for long periods of time without eye strain, headaches or eye dryness.
HyperX has a wide range of designs that you can choose from and also gives you the option to add prescription lenses. The spectre series is designed with gaming in mind and allows you to wear headphones while you have glasses on.
The glasses are light and comfortable to wear. They do have a slight blue tint but when you are wearing them you will not notice that. Which means that you get lower color distortion. All things considered, this is an excellent option if you work from home or game.
- Clear lenses
- Blocks UV and blue light
- Variety of designs
- Custom prescription lenses can be added
- Low color distortion
- Relatively pricey
GUNNAR Gaming Glasses
- Protect your eyes - high energy Blue light emitted by electronic devices have shown to increase the risk of accumulated Damage to the Retina, cataracts, sleep disorders and macular degeneration
- block Blue light - block 65% of harmful Blue light, 100% of UV. Prevent short-term and long-term Damage like macular degeneration, cataracts, and the reduction of melatonin production
- Sleep better - block Blue light and reduce eye strain that affects your bodies circadian rhythms and prevents healthy restorative restful sleep you need to perform daily and prevent health issues
- Reduce eye strain - minimize headaches, dry eye and eye fatigue with added amber lens contrast, anti reflective coatings and patented focusing power 0.20 mag. 3-barrel steel hinge design creates incredible durability
The GUNNAR Gaming Glasses come with patented lenses that block blue light. They are unisex and very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The company claims that these glasses can block 98% of the blue light emitted from displays. The glasses have a yellow tint which allows them to filter UV light as well. The glasses come with a pouch, cleaning cloth, and a one-year warranty.
- Comfortable to wear
- Resistant to scratches
- 1-year warranty
J+S Vision Blue Light Shield Glasses
- PROTECT YOUR EYES - High Energy Blue Light emitted by electronic devices (such as computers, TV, smartphones) have shown to increase the risk of vision conditions from sore dry eyes to macular degeneration. Maintain healthy eyes by reducing exposure to high energy blue light.
- IMPROVE PERFORMANCE AND PRODUCTIVITY - Extended exposure to blue light rays may cause fatigue and stress. Filtering out the High Energy Blue Light allows you to focus on your game or task at hand.
- BLOCKS 90% OF THE MOST HARMFUL BLUE LIGHT* - J+S Vision Blue Light Shield protects your eyes by filtering out 90% of the most harmful High Energy Blue Light (400nm - 430nm) rays while letting through the less harmful portion of the blue light spectrum. Overal blue block rate: Low Color Distortion lens = ~52%, HD lens = ~62%
- LOW COLOR DISTORTION LENS - Unlike other glasses on the market with heavily tinted lens. J+S Vision's low color distortion lens is optimised to provides the perfect balance between eye protection and viewing quality.
- QUALITY CLASSIC FRAME - The classic large rectangular frame is suitable for both male and female while covering large field of vision. Spring loaded temples allows for comfortable fitting for both large and small heads.
These are more budget-friendly when compared to the GUNNAR variant and there are plenty of different options to choose from. You can select different colors and frame designs. These glasses are very popular amongst gamers. It does have a yellow tint but the color distortion is minimal. The company claims to block 90% of the blue light coming from displays.
- Comfortable to wear
- Low color distortion
- 1-year warranty
- Yellow tint is not for everyone
SomniLight FL-41 Wayfarer Style
If you like the Wayfarer style of glasses then the SomniLight FL-41 is a great option to choose from. There are other styles that you can pick but the Wayfarer is a classic in my opinion and you might think the same.
The glasses are built well and offer great value for money keeping in mind how expensive gaming or blue light blocking glasses can be. There is a reddish tint in the lenses but that should not bother most people. The glasses are comfortable to wear but this is not a solution for everyone and if they are not a good fit for you then you might feel some tightness.
- Low color distortion
- Reddish tint is not for everyone
The following are the answers to some frequently asked questions that you might have.
Blue Light Blocking Vs Gaming Glasses: What Is The Difference?
Both are supposed to block blue light to relieve eye strain. At times both terms are used interchangeably. Gaming glasses can have special tints that reduce color distortion and some variants are designed to go well with gaming headsets.
Do Blue Light Blocking Glasses Really Help?
While blue light does affect your sleep, there isn’t enough scientific evidence to prove that blue light blocking glasses help out. If you suffer from eye irritation then you should consult a doctor.
What If You Wear Prescription Lenses?
You can use blue light blocking glasses that go over prescription glasses. Alternatively, you can buy clip-on lenses that go on top of your prescription lenses. Some brands to offer prescription blue light blocking glasses but these can be very expensive.
Do I Need Prescription Gaming Glasses?
If you have weak eye sight and want gaming glasses then you might want to look into prescription gaming glasses. Some companies do provide services which enable you to use prescription lenses. We do recommend consulting your doctor is you are interested in getting prescription glasses as gaming glasses can be very expensive and adding prescription lenses to the mix is going to cost you even more.
How Much Should I Spend?
The amount of money that you should spend depends on what you need. If you just want to block blue light then you can get a pair of glasses that do just that for under $50. If you are looking for glasses that come with inbuild audio then the Razer Anzu is a great option as you can buy it for around $100 from Amazon.
It goes without saying that custom glasses or prescription lenses are going to cost you extra. At that point, you might want to look into fashion glasses rather than gaming glasses.
Now you can protect your eyes while streaming for long periods of time. These glasses will help you from getting damaged or irritated eyes.