Ever seen those really cool images on discord servers? Most of the time they’re static images, but on rare occasion, they can be animated too.
These graphics are Discord server banners that anyone can put up on their own servers — provided they meet the requirements to be able to.
If you want to know more about Discord server banners and how you can put one on yours, this guide can help you with everything you need to know.
What Are The Requirements?
It’s not too difficult to get yourself a Discord server banner — but, it might cost you (or some of your friends) a little bit of money.
If you’ve never heard of server boosts before, they’re essentially monthly “subscriptions”. Boosts give a server access to extra features and content, like extra emote slots or — you guessed it — Discord Server Banners.
There are three boost levels you can reach to unlock certain perks, as you can see below.
Static server banners unlock at boost level 2, while animated server banners unlock at level 3. That doesn’t mean much right now, but allow us to break it down.
Level 1 requires two Nitro boosts. To reach Level 2, you need seven boosts. And finally, Level 3 will cost 14 server boosts in all.
Now, here comes the financial cost.
One boost will cost you $4.99, unless you’re subscribed to Discord Nitro. Nitro subscribers get 30% off, bringing the cost down to $3.49. Additionally, Discord Nitro subscribers get two free boosts to use every month. You can use these two boosts to get your server to level 1, which means you only need five more boosts to get your server banner unlocked.
Can I Unlock Discord Server Banners for Free?
The answer to this question is yes, you can. Unfortunately, it’s not very easy to achieve. Discord waives the boost requirements for unlocking the three levels of benefits in very specific situation: your server either has to be verified OR you have to be a Discord Partner. Achieving either one of those is difficult to say the least, and you’re often better off unlocking the boosts instead.
How to Add a Banner to Your Discord Server
To add a banner to your Discord server, follow these steps below:
- Navigate to your server settings by clicking on the downwards arrow next to your server’s name. Click on “Server Settings.”
- When the server settings open up, make sure you are on the Overview tab. Then, scroll down until you see the image below.
If you have already unlocked the banner with boosts, the “Unlock with Boosting” banner will turn into an “Upload Background” button like the one on the left. Click this button to upload your banner, and you’re good to go!
You can also remove your banner background in the same section.
What Are the Best Dimensions for the Discord Server Banner?
According to Discord, you will want your image to be in a 16:9 aspect ratio. The recommended dimensions are at least 960×540 pixels. However, if you have bigger images, you can use them and Discord will automatically resize them — just make sure they’re in 16:9!
Tips for Creating a Good Discord Server Banner
There are a few tips from Discord themselves to help you create the best server banner possible — take a look at them below:
- Keep the top 28% of your graphic pretty simple. Avoid text, busy patterns, or light/white backgrounds, since this is where your server name appears (in white text). Keeping the top area of your banner simple makes it easier to read your server’s name.
- Avoid logos or text in your images and GIFs if possible. You’re allowed to use logos and text, but know that they may look conflicting within your small space. If you do use logos or text, make them large and easily legible even when the banner is shrunk down.
- Use imagery that showcase your interests, personality, and/or content. Again this isn’t necessary, but doing so is a great way of giving new arrivals an idea of who you are and what you do right away. For example, a game’s Discord server may want to use characters or images from their game in their banner background.
And, of course, remember to keep everything aligned with Discord’s terms of service — the last thing you want is for your server to get banned!
A Discord server isn’t necessary by any means. Nevertheless, having one is a fantastic way to make your server stand out more memorably. Luckily, it’s relatively easy to put one up — as long as you can get your server to boost level two.
Read More From Get On Stream: