Depending on the game and party you are playing with, it can be useful to have push to talk enabled on Streamlabs or OBS. This allows you to enable your mic only when you want to speak. If you are not pressing the push to talk key, your viewers will not be able to hear you.
This is a great option if you want to be selective about when you speak on stream. Luckily with Streamlabs and OBS it is easy to set up push to talk. Let’s jump in show you how to set up push to talk on Streamlabs and OBS.
How To Enable Push To Talk On Streamlabs
Streamlabs has a Push To Talk feature built into their software. We just need to enable it. Follow the steps below to enable push to talk:
- Open the Streamlabs software on your computer
- Ensure you have your microphone added to your mixer on Streamlabs
- Click on the settings COG in the bottom left hand corner
- In your settings navigate down to the “Hot Keys” section
- In the Hot Keys section, scroll down to sources and select your microphone. Click in the box beside “push to talk” and push on the key you want to use, to activate push to talk. You can use your stream deck keys or a key on your keyboard to trigger it. In my setup I actually use a button on my mouse as it allows me to hold the button down, without taking taking my hand of the mouse.
- Save your settings and push to talk should now be enabled
You can now use the push to talk button when Streamlabs is open. If it does not seem to be working, close Streamlabs and re-open it to activate the Hot Key. When you are enabling and disabling push to talk with your hot key, you will see the mute button changing from muted to un-muted in the mixer. This is how you know it is working before you go live.
How To Enable Push To Talk On OBS
You can also enable push to talk on OBS. Follow the steps below to set up push to talk on OBS.
- Open OBS Studio on your computer
- Click on the settings button in the bottom right hand corner
- In the settings section select Hotkeys
- Scroll down to your Microphone source and click in the box beside push to talk.
- Click on the key you want to use for push to talk
- Click on the “apply button” to save your Push to Talk hot key
You have now successfully set up a push to talk hot key in OBS Studio.
You may also be interested in how to set up push to talk on Discord.
You have now successfully set up your hot keys for push to talk on Streamlabs and OBS. This will allow you to only speak on stream and be heard when you want to. Make sure you don’t forget that you have enabled push to talk or your stream will not be able to hear you.
Read More From Get On Stream: