Discord has a lot of features such as bots to further improve the user experience but some of its personalization features like GIF avatars are locked behind Discord Nitro. Even if you are subscribed to Nitro, it is not complete yet. It lacks other personalization options such as customized themes.
This is the reason why BetterDiscord was made. It is an improved version of the app that offers customized themes, plugins, emotes, and many more.
Now, we are here to guide you on how to install themes on BetterDiscord. In this article, we’ll guide you from installing BetterDiscord to finally customizing your themes.
How To Install Better Discord
Installing BetterDiscord is easy. However, you must remember that doing so is against Discord’s terms of service. The good thing though is Discord has not penalized anyone who has BetterDiscord at the moment.
If you want to push through, then follow these steps to install BetterDiscord.
- Go to the BetterDiscord website here. You will immediately see the download button so go ahead and click on it.
- Open the downloaded installer. Read the License Agreement. Check the “I accept the license agreement”, then click on next.
- Choose Install BetterDiscord then click next.
- You will now see a list of all the Discord versions installed on your computer. Choose the first option because it is the stable version of Discord. Ignore the Discord PTB and Discord Canary. These two options are the Beta and Alpha versions of Discord.
- A prompt will show up your installation status. Once it is completed, your Discord will restart. Another clue if it is successful is the Discord audio cue.
- You are done! Now, it is time to explore BetterDiscord and install some themes, plugins, and even emotes.
How to Install Themes On BetterDiscord
There are several themes to choose from on BetterDiscord. You may install them by following these instructions.
- Open Discord and head on to Settings. By the way, there is no separate BetterDiscord app. It is already integrated into your current Discord build.
- Scroll down the left sidebar until you reach the BetterDiscord settings. Click on Themes.
- This is your first time installing a theme so it will show the You Don’t Have Any Themes message. Go ahead and click on the Open Theme Folder.
- The Themes Folder is blank for now because you have not downloaded any themes yet.
- Go ahead and open your browser. Head on to the BetterDiscord theme store.
- Choose any theme you want then click on Download. This will automatically save the theme to your computer. These are free themes so feel free to download to your hearts out.
- Go back to Discord and click on the Open Themes Folder once again. If you have not closed the Window earlier then feel free to switch to the Themes Folder.
- Open your Downloads folder then drag your BetterDiscord theme to the Themes Folder. You may also right-click on your theme, click cut, then paste it into your Themes folder.
- Switch back to Discord and you will now see the themes you transferred to your Themes folder.
- To activate a theme, click on the toggle button and it will turn green or blue with a checkmark. To deactivate, click it again until it returns to X.
- Once you click on the toggle button, your Discord background will immediately change. You may also verify the theme you are using by checking the upper left section of your Discord window. It will show up Discord + the name of the theme.
- Press the ESC key and you are done. Enjoy your new BetterDiscord theme.
How to Uninstall Themes On BetterDiscord
Uninstalling a BetterDiscord theme is quicker than installing one. All you have to do is follow these steps.
- Open the Discord app.
- Head on to the Settings menu.
- Scroll down the left panel until your reach the BetterDiscord settings.
- Click on Themes.
- Click on the Trash icon to uninstall a theme.
- A prompt will appear. Click on Delete to confirm.
- You will receive a notification at the bottom part of your screen to confirm that you are done.
How to BetterDiscord And Use The Original Discord App
There are exciting features on BetterDiscord but sometimes a stable and stock Discord build is still the way to go. Here are the steps you should do to revert back to the original and stable Discord build.
- Open the BetterDiscord installer once again. If you deleted it already, proceed to the BetterDiscord website and click download.
- Read the license agreement and click on accept. Click next.
- Select Uninstall BetterDiscord then click next.
- Select the Discord version that you are using. Click uninstall.
- You will be notified that you have successfully uninstalled BetterDiscord. Click Close.
- Discord will restart and you are now back to the original and stable version.
Is BetterDiscord Safe To Use
Short answer, Yes and No. It is a Yes, because BetterDiscord has no malicious code. It does not gather meaningful data without your permission too. However, it is not safe at a certain point because it still violates Discord’s terms of service. Like other modified clients, it may fail in the future and you risk your account getting banned. But for your peace of mind, no one has been banned from using BetterDiscord yet.
Moreover, BetterDiscord plugins are all safe to use. However, if you are going to use third-party plugins then that might cause issues as the BetterDiscord developers have no control over them.
Does BetterDiscord Work On Mobile or Browser
Unfortunately, BetterDiscord is only available for the desktop app. Mobile users and Discord browser users have no choice but to use the legitimate Discord website and mobile app. This also means that Chromebook does not have an access to BetterDiscord too.
BetterDiscord Installer Is Not Working
There are times when the BetterDiscord installer would not work. But there is a fix to that so do not worry.
- Open the BetterDiscord Installer. If not, head on to the BetterDiscord website and click on download.
- Read the License Agreement and click on Next.
- Select Repair BetterDiscord then click next.
- Select your current Discord program.
- Click the Repair button.
- A prompt to reinstall BetterDiscord will appear. Click on Yes.
- Wait for the program to finish reinstalling BetterDiscord.
- The prompt will say that the repair is finished. Click close.
- Open Discord and you are done!
That’s it! You finally know how to install themes on BetterDiscord. There are other features available too but we will touch on them next time. For now, feel free to check our Discord tutorials and make the most of your Discord experience.
Read More From Get On Stream: