If you have just got an Xbox Series S or X you may have tried recording your gameplay but are wondering why you are limited to 10 minutes of footage. 10 Minutes is great but if you want to record long sessions of gameplay you will need some more time than that.
Luckily there is a way that you can record gameplay for 1 hour directly on your Xbox. You don’t even need a capture card. However, you will need an external hard drive.
Let’s jump in and show you how to record more than 10 minutes of gameplay on your Xbox Series S or X.
What You Need To Record For 1 Hour On Xbox
If you want to record for 1 hour on your Xbox Series S or X you will need to purchase an external hard drive for your console. This is where your gameplay footage will be stored.
I would recommend going for a 1TB hard drive to give you plenty of room for recording.
When choosing a hard drive you need to make sure that it is USB 3.0 to be fast enough for Xbox Series X. The hard drive must also be formatted as NTFS. Below are 3 External Hard Drives that meet these criteria.
How To Record Gameplay On Xbox For More Than 10 Minutes
To allow us to record more than 10 minutes of gameplay we need to change our capture location to the External drive. Follow the steps below to be able to record 1 hour of gameplay at a time.
- Format your External drive to NTFS on your computer
- Plug your External drive into one of the USB ports on your Xbox console
- Turn your Xbox on and navigate to Settings in your dashboard
- Navigate to the preferences section –> Capture & Share
- Here you can go down to the bottom setting “Capture location” and change it from Internal to External.
- A confirmation window will appear asking you to confirm your settings. Click on “Confirm”. You will now be able to record up to 60 minutes of gameplay at a time.
You are now set up and ready to record up to 60 minutes of gameplay on your Xbox Series X and Series S. If you don’t know how to record on your Xbox, follow the steps below.
How To Record Gameplay On Xbox Series X
Recording on your Xbox Series X is simple. Follow the steps below to start recording your gameplay.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller while in-game
- Select Capture & share –> Start Recording (If you have successfully added an external hard drive to your console you will see it allows you to record for an hour)
- To end your recording open the guide and press the X button on your controller. You will get a notification letting you know that your recording has been saved.
Start A Recording On The Xbox Wireless Controller
If you have one of the new wireless Xbox controllers, it has a share button directly on the controller. You can use this to start your recording.
You can change what this button does in your settings. To change what the button does open your consoles Accessories app and assign the “Start recording” function to the button. Choose whether you want to start the recording by pressing or holding the button.
You can now use this button to start your recordings on the Xbox.
You now know how to record more than 10 minutes of footage on your Xbox Series X or S. Good luck landing some insane clips. It is much easier to record your footage nowadays than it has been in the past. This is a great feature from Xbox. Let us know in the comments the first game you will be recording first.
Read More From Get On Stream: