When it comes to running a Discord server things can sometimes get a little out of hand. Sometimes you will have trolls, people spamming or maybe people breaking your server rules.
You or your moderators need to spot this quickly and either ban the user or time them out. This keeps your server a clean happy place for the other members. In this article, we are going to take a look at how you can timeout a user on Discord.
How To Timeout Someone On Discord
To timeout someone on your Discord server follow the steps below:
- Open Discord and navigate to your Discord server
- Find a message from the user you want to timeout or find their username in the members bar on the right-hand side. Right-click and select “Timeout [Username]”
- A pop-up will appear giving you the option to decide how long you want to time someone out. Select the duration of the timeout. You can also give a reason for the Audit Log (The user will not be able to see this). Click Timeout to finalise.
You have now successfully timed out that user for your chosen amount of time. You will now see a little red clock icon beside the user’s name, indicating they are timed out.
How To Time Someone Out On Mobile
You can also time people out from the mobile version of Discord. To do this follow the steps below:
- Open the Discord app on your phone and navigate to the server you want to time someone out in.
- Find the user in chat or in the member’s tab and click on their name
- In the menu select “Timeout”, and another screen will appear where you can select the timeout duration. Select the duration and click “Timeout”
You have now successfully issued a timeout to that user on your Discord server from mobile.
What Is A Timeout On Discord?
A timeout on Discord is a temporary ban on a user which revokes them of certain privileges on a server. When a user is timed out they will be unable to chat or react in chat channels and will be unable to connect to voice or stage channels.
A timeout can last from 60 seconds to 1 week. This is determined by a moderator or server owner.
How To Remove A Timeout On Discord
You can remove a timeout from a user earlier than the time you initially allocated. To do this follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the timed-out person username
- Select remove timeout from [Username]
- A pop-up will appear showing how long the user has left on their timeout. Confirm you want to remove the timeout by clicking on the “Remove Timeout” button.
You have now successfully removed this users timeout early.
Who Can Issue A Timeout On Discord?
Moderators and Admins can issue timeouts to users in a Discord server.
How Long Can You Time Users Out For?
Below are the options you can choose from when applying a timeout:
- 60 Seconds
- 5 Minutes
- 10 minutes
- 1 Hour
- 1 Day
- 1 Week
Can Bots Time Users Out On Discord
Yes, bots can timeout users on a Discord server by accessing the feature through the Discord API. Bots will usually work on a multiple offence system. If you break rules set on the server you will usually get a short timeout.
The more offences you commit the longer the timeout will be. Some bots may completely ban you from the server after multiple offences.
That’s everything there is to know about timing out a user on Discord. You can now keep your server running by the rules at all times. If someone gets out of line, time them out. If they repeatedly break rules in your server, we would recommend banning them.
Read More From Get On Stream: