One of the main reasons the Steam Deck is an appealing gaming console is the fact that you can either play your games on the built-in screen, or you can also connect the Steam Deck itself to a monitor or TV and use it like that.
There are a few steps to connecting your Steam Deck to a monitor or TV, and we are here to provide you with all the details so you can easier time setting everything up.
Let’s get into it!
How To Connect The Steam Deck To A Monitor Or TV
The whole process of connecting your Steam Deck to a monitor takes less than ten minutes and anyone can do it. There are a few specifics surrounding the process, and here is how to do it:
- Make sure your monitor or TV has an HDMI port
- Acquire an HDMI to USB-C adapter
- Connect the HDMI cable to the monitor/TV
- Connect the USB-C cable to the adapter and run it to your Steam Deck
- Tweak the resolution settings on your Steam Deck to match the monitor/TV
And that’s it! At this point, you should be able to use your Steam Deck directly on your monitor/TV without any issues.
If you notice that your Steam Deck is not working properly after connecting it to a monitor or PC, you can follow some of these steps.
Restart Your Device
This is the oldest troubleshooting advice in the history of technology, but it tends to work very well nonetheless. If your Steam Deck is not performing as well as you expect after connecting it to your monitor, just restart the device and repeat the cable connection process.
Adjust Your Display Settings
Performance issues don’t always have to be tied to whether the display is showing anything or not, it can also be the fact that the resolution might not be optimal. Here is how to fix that.
- Go to the System Settings of your Steam Deck
- Click on Display and Monitor
- Check the maximum resolution of your monitor/TV and make the Steam Deck’s settings match that
- Your screen should now be optimal
Make Sure Your Steam Deck Is Updated
To make sure your device is running at full capacity, you need to check it for updates now and then. Of course, since the hardware is quite new, you can expect updates to be automatically completed when they’re available, but it can’t hurt to check.
- Go to Steam on your Steam Deck
- Click on Settings
- Go to System
- Go to System Update Channel
- Select Beta, but you can also choose Preview, it doesn’t matter
- Repeat the first three steps
- You should see a Software update section now
- Click on Check For Updates
- Click on Apply if there is a new update available
Does The Steam Deck Have A Display port?
Yes, it does. The Steam Deck comes equipped with an HDMI port, display port, as well as a USB-C port. This means that you can apply all of the steps we have mentioned so far to a monitor/TV that has a display port as well.
Now you have all of the information you need to connect your Steam Deck to a monitor or a TV. The entire process is simple and we’re sure that you won’t have any issues when you decide to do it yourself. We hope that all of the information we have provided is clear and easy to follow.