If you have came to this page you have probably just realised after many, many hours of gaming that there is an extra port on the front of your playstation controller. Chances are you have never used this port and are wondering what on earth is this little port for.
After all the Playstation controller didn’t change much at all from the Playstation 1 all the way to the Playstation 4. It keep it’s original shape all these years. After all it feels pretty damn good in the hands. Why change it? But the PS4 model did get this extra port.
Whether it’s the brand new haptic feedback Playstation 5 controller or the older Playstation 4 controller we are going to answer your question in this article. Let’s jump in.
What is The EXT Port On A Playstation 4 Controller for?
What is the EXT port on a PS4 controller for? The Playstation 4 controller has an extra port on the front that is rarely used by most gamers. It can however be used for charging or adding external accessories such as a small keyboard.
Below I am going to outline some of the devices you can utilise this little extension port for.
Charging Station For Playstation 4 Controllers
You’re probably used to charging your playstation controller from the back using the USB cable provided with the controller. It’s simple and it works although that wire can get in the way some times, especially if you’re a bit of a cable management nerd.
The solution to this is getting a charging dock that you can place your controllers in when you are not playing. This means your controllers are always charged when you want to hop online.
You can see one of the most popular docks for Playstation 4 controllers down below.
- LED Charging Indicator: LED lights can clearly show the charging status, red light States The PS4 controller is charging，blue light States The PS4 controller has been charged completely.
- 1.8 Hours Full Charged: Upgraded with copper chip, fast to charge dual controllers simultaneously in 1.8Hours, save your time to get more fun.
- Safe&Reliable: Built-in intelligent chips and high quality components prevent dual controllers and your devices from over-current, over-voltage, or short-circuit protection.
- Multiple Power Devices: Allows you to conveniently store and charge 2 PS4 controllers above 5V/1A,applying to your computer, PS4/Slim/Pro, wall adapter,USB HUB, power bank and so on.
- What You Get: 1*OIVO PS4 controller charging station; 1*USB charging cable(Micro USB Cable); Manufacturer's 2-Year After-sale service.
It’s actually quite affordable and makes a neat addition to your set up if you want to keep your gaming space nice and tidy.
Keyboard Extension For Playstation 4 Controllers
I’m sure we have all been in the position where we are about to jump onto netflix and watch our favourite program when somehow our account has been logged out. Now we are sitting, using the analog stick to go letter by letter through our email and password.
There is nothing more frustrating than that long process. Well, what if you had a keyboard that you could easily type in all your info. Thanks to that little ext port on the bottom of your controller you can.
While they are quite small the typing process is in fact much easier and reminds me of an old blackberry keyboard. If you do a lot of browsing on your console or send a lot of messages it might be a great accessory for your controller.
Check out one of the most popular keyboards for the Playstation 4 controller down below:
- Updated PS4 GAMING KEYBOARD:This wireless keyboard would be a perfect accessory for PS4 controller.
- Equip with high quality speaker to you to communicate with game players.
- Comfortable QWETY keyboard desgin and message chatpad.
- Note: Before playing with this keyboard, please insert 2.4G signal receiver into your PS4 console.
- Compatible for all PS4 series console.
Headsets and Headphones
You can also plug headsets into this port down below however the original playstation headset for this port is apparently not in production anymore.
Fortunately you can still use the AUX port to plug in any headphones that you have lying around the house if they are compatible. There’s no harm in plugging yours in and seeing if it works.
However you’re probably better using other audio sources than the port on the bottom of your controller as it won’t sound as good.
What Is The Port On The Bottom Of The Playstation 5 Controller?
Similar to the Playstation 4 controller the Playstation 5 controller uses the port for the same functions as the PS4. The ext port can be used to dock your controllers, attach a keyboard or attach headsets.
What is the port on the front of the PS5 controller? The port on the front of the Playstation 5 controller can be used to plug in accessories such as a keyboard, docking/charging station or even headsets. The most used device in the port is the charging station which keeps your controller charged when you’re not playing.
You can check out some of the most popular accessories for the Playstation 5 controller below:
Playstation 5 Controller Docking Station
Below is one of the most popular charging stations for the PS5 controller. Again they are actually quite affordable even for the PS5 and are a great way to keep your gaming area clean and tidy.
- 【Fast Charging for Dual PS5 Controllers 】This ps5 controller charging station is specially designed to charge two PS5 controllers simultaneously, powered directly from the PS5 Disk/Digital console via 1 of the included PS5 charging cables. The PS5 controller charging station only takes two hours to fast charge double PS5 controllers from dead. It's a must have PlayStation 5 accessories kit for ps5 dualsense edge controller.
- 【No AC Power Adapter Needed】This PlayStation 5 charging station has a smart chip which increases voltage whilst maintaining all-round protection for your ps5 remotes. The PS5 docking station is powered directly through the ps5 console using two kinds of cables, 1× USB-C to USB-C cable and 1× 2-in-1 USB-C cable. It means you can rapidly charge two controllers in two hours. Our updated ps5 stand no longer requires USB adapters, simply place it in the ps5 dual charger station to begin charging.
- 【Clear LED Indicators】 This PS5 charger dock features the same black and white colour scheme as the PS5 console making it blend in seamlessly with your existing setup. Charging Lights on the front unlike the official version, the front screen of the ps5 controller dock features a blue strip light that will blink to indicate controllers are charging. Two controller indicators on the screen will display as red whilst your controllers are charging and change to blue when they are fully charged.
- 【Energy-Saving Design】After listening to feedbacks from the video games community, we have now added an On/Off switch to the back of ps5 charging dock. Having the ability to turn off the dock when its not in use. Our easy to use and feature rich dual charging station makes this a must have PS5 controller accessory and the perfect replacement for the official Sony DualSense PS5 charging station.
- 【Easy To Use】 We have designed our ps5 controller charger stand with ease of use in mind. Simply connect the dock to your PlayStation 5 console and place the controllers directly onto the PS5 charging dock. Also included anti-slip pads on the base of the dual charging station which prevents it from sliding when placed on your entertainment system or desk. We proviedes 3-Year support provided and friendly service to let you know that your satisfaction is our entire purpose.
Playstation 5 Keyboard
Below is one of the most popular keyboards for the Playstation 5 controller. If you plan on using your playstation to do any sort of messaging or browsing then a keyboard may be a useful addition for your controller.
- 🎮 Ergonomic design: The bluetooth controller keyboard for PS5 is ergonomically designed to enhance the gaming experience, full game keyboard perfect fit for PS5 controller.(Note: The controller and keyboard can’t charger at the same time; only the keyboard is charged)
- 🎮 Voice chat board: Complete for PS5 QWERTY keyboard and voice chat board for messaging and chatting, convenient for you and your teammates to dominate and enjoy game better.(Before using, please make sure that the keyboard is powered and matched successfully, otherwise the keyboard will not work.)
- 🎮 Built in speaker: The built-in speaker allows users to listen to all chat audio directly from the keyboard without using a headset, you can also disable this function for PS5 settings menu and use an external headset.
- 🎮 Easy to install& carry: Easily snaps into place with no additional software to install in order to run. Small size, light weight, easy to carry. The indicator light show red when charging, and when fully charged the light out.
- 🎮 Pair automatically: Enter the passkey on the wireless keyboard and then confirm your entry within 30 seconds, the indicator light is green when the connection is successful. After the connection is successful, you can use the keyboard again to pair automatically. If the pairing fails, you can restart the keyboard, or delete the pairing information to pair again.
Now you should know exactly what those little ports on the controller are however you will probably still never use them. Maybe you will find a use and be one of the people who gets use out of the charging dock or tiny little keyboard.
Read More From Get On Stream: