Discord is one of the biggest group chatting platforms in the world. It was originally meant only for gamers, but various other groups and organizations later started using it as well. Sometimes, you have a channel in your server that is getting overcrowded, and you just don’t want anyone to join it anymore. Thankfully, Discord has an option that can let you lock your channel, and today we’ll discuss how you can do that.
Can You Lock A Text Channel in Discord?
An important thing to keep in mind is that you can not lock a text channel in Discord. The platform only lets you lock a voice channel. For a text channel, you can prevent others from seeing it or sending any messages, but you can not lock it.
How To Lock A Discord Channel on PC
Locking a channel in Discord can be a confusing process for those who don’t know how to do it. But the process is pretty simple, and you can do it in only a few clicks. Here’s how you can lock a channel in Discord on PC.
- Launch Discord and sign in to your account.
- Open the server which contains the channel that you want to lock.
- Click on the gear icon that can be found right next to the channel’s name, which will open up a new menu on your screen.
- Click on Permissions from the left side.
- Make sure that you have selected @everyone in the roles section.
- Scroll down to the Voice Channel Permissions section and disable the Connect permission by clicking on the red cross.
- Click on save and close the settings.
Your channel will now appear locked for everyone. As you’re the administrator of the channel, you will only see a small lock icon on the channel. However, others will see a full lock icon. Furthermore, while you’ll still be able to open the channel, they won’t be able to access it.
How To Lock A Discord Channel on Mobile
Discord is available for mobile devices as well, and it is also possible to lock a channel through your mobile device. The process is the same for both Android and iOS users. For this, you will need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Discord application on your mobile device.
- Tap on the server which has the channel that you want to lock.
- Tap and hold on to the channel’s name until a menu appears on your mobile screen.
- Tap on the Edit Channel option.
- Open the Channel Permissions section.
- Tap on Advanced View from the top.
- Tap on @everyone under the Roles section.
- Scroll down to the Voice Channel Permissions section and find the Connect option.
- Tap on the red cross right next to the Connect option.
After following the steps mentioned above, go back to your channel and it will now be locked for everyone except for you.
Why Should You Lock A Channel in Discord?
There can be times when you want to keep the channel visible but prevent others from accessing it. This is where the locking feature comes in. Thanks to it, no one will be able to access the channel until you unlock it.
Who Can Access Locked Channels in Discord?
Aside from you (the administrator), only those who have been permitted access to the locked channel by you can open it. Other than them, no one else can access the channel.
This was how you can lock a channel in Discord. As you can see for yourself, the process is pretty simple and quick. It will take you a minute or less to lock your channel successfully in Discord.
Read More From Get On Stream: